Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Week 14 Chapter 12 Discussion 2


People often judge things based on their observations and later found out that they were wrong.  I am an intramural soccer official at the Recreation department. Last week, I was referring a fraternity game, and the game was intense. I started calling fouls and calm the players down. I thought both teams were mad at my partner and me because we called minor actions, even though we could let it go. I thought both teams disliked us because of our strict calls, so that I did not expect a handshake after match from neither team. However, one team did handshake with me and one player said he appreciated my effort during the match. I judged there would be no handshakes after match by observing players’ emotion, however, turned out my premise was wrong. We have to observe and experience it to see whether our premise is right or wrong, and that is scientific knowledge used in our daily life.

Thank you for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you on how people often judge things based on their observations. Even though you felt as if you and your partner were not going to expect handshakes after the game, it was very professional of the players to come up to you after the game. You were just doing your job, and could not affect any outcome because you have to remain neutral, which you did. Being a referee takes a lot of courage because both teams will always argue over calls. I respect that you are able to fulfill your job as referee and you should always expect both reactions from the teams you are refereeing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, many people do often judge their observations resulting in incorrect conclusions. Your experience is a great example for this kind of situation. After calling fouls to help calm down both teams, they do start to give the feeling that they are mad at your calls because you called them for minor things. You start to believe that they will not give you any respect after the game because of your calls you made during the game and expect no handshakes after that, but in the end you had one team give you the a respectable handshake for your efforts. This is a great example of how people start to think of conclusions just through observations they have made resulting in incorrect conclusions

    ReplyDelete