Thursday, November 8, 2012

Week 13 Chapter 11 Question 3


After reading chapter 11 about mass media, I have found out that the usage of Internet have a lot of pros and cons. To be honest, I spend at least 12 hours on my computer everyday. Internet can have positive impacts such as helping people with learning materials, looking for jobs, and getting live feeds of news. However, Internet can also have negative impacts as procrastination, gamble, and social networks. Some college students miss their assignment because they spend too much time on their social networks, which is not a good sign. I think computer and Internet can bring positive impacts to people, but we really have to choose what is our priority since the platform is so broad and it can distract you with some interesting topic while you are working. Moreover, the media can spread out information that you do not want people to know. For example, people lose their jobs because of posting comments about their companies or employers on social networks. Just like what the book said, we have to think about who is going to see this post before publishing on those sites.

Thank you for reading!

Adrian

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you because I also spend too much time on the computer. Some of the time for homework, but a majority of the time I use it for social networking, crafts, blogging, shopping, and many other things. I find myself procrastinating for hours and putting off my assignments due to all of these other things I would rather do on the internet. I agree with you in that it takes self-control to put aside the thing you would rather do on the internet to finish homework and thing that need to have priority. I think it is important to be organized and have a healthy balance when it come to the internet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrian, I totally agree with you that there are both pros and cons of the usage of internet. I was amazed when I read that you spend around 12 hours on your computer daily. I also agree with you that internet gives out positive impacts and negative one at the same time. Internet now plays an very important role in our daily lives. I cannot deny that most people even some elderly have the need of using computer. Internet becomes a necessity to most people in nowadays world. For example, we all use internet to help us to finish this comm 41 course by doing posts and comments. At last, I think you really make a good point by seeing good and bad sides of social networking.

    ReplyDelete