Monday, December 3, 2012

Week 16 Discussion 1


This is my second communication class I have taken in San Jose State University. I have learned varies way to become a critical thinker, and all the skills I learned in this class are essential life skills. Before taking this class, I never thought that it would cover materials like marketing, law, etc. I thought this is only a class that teaches us the theoretical of critical thinking. Over this course, we learn the idea first, and then we apply it into different real life fields.  I developed my thinking skills to another level and I am able to identify the type of argument that is. For example, when someone says “If Tom likes David Beckham, then he must like soccer very much.” I can tell immediately that conversation is a deductive argument. Also, the rhetorical devices I learned in this class help me to become a better neutral speaker and writer by using appropriate phrase to not offend others.

Thank you for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Adrian,
    I enjoyed you post vey much but I wanted to point something out. I agree with what you said, which was that we learned concepts then applied them. I think that was the whole point of these blogs we had to do. It seemed like every week after reading we had to answer question using the material cover that week. I think this really helped us learn because unlike a class room people HAD to share. I think that is one of the best things this class did for me and hopefully the rest of the class. Once again hope you have a great week of finals. Finish strong.

    Heisenberg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your example of identifying the type of argument. You state a very simple and understandable. Besides, I agree with you that this course teaches us more than we expect. All the concepts from the book can tightly relate to our daily lives. After the reading throughout this course, I believe all of us are now having a better understanding on behalf of critical thinking. Other than that, the rhetorical devices that are taught in this class can surely help us to make a stronger and valid argument in the future. Overall, this class enriches my knowledge especially on critical thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Adrian!
    I agree this class shocked me when it got into the topics such as marketing and law and other business related terms. But at the same time it made it a lot more interesting then just reading about boring old critical thinking and not applying it to the real world! I feel the boss text book really put critical thinking into a perspective that made it relevant to the world and how we could use it outside of college! It was also nice to learn about all the different types of argument forms so we can point out fallacies in writings when we read them and figure out when something would not necessarily be true.
    -Mike Ross

    ReplyDelete