Saturday, September 29, 2012

Week 6 chapter 2 Question 3


This week, I would like to discuss emotion, which wasmentioned in chapter 2. The book first discusses can computer feels emotions.To be honest, I have never thought of that question because I strongly believedthat computer is just an electronic to make human’s life easier. After readingthis part, I learned that it turns out to be this premise can be turned intovery deep explanations. Some people would argue that AIs have feelings; however,those are programmed by human but not itself. Our emotions come from our brainnaturally. Therefore, computer cannot feel emotions. For instance, some parentsallow their kids to have an electronic pet rather than a real one. Thoseelectronic pets are like video games and differ from the real ones, Real petshave emotion, which they will feel happy or sad, but not the electronicversion. That already shows that computer or electronic device or AIs cannothave any emotions like a living thing does.

Thank you for reading!

Adrian (:

1 comment:

  1. I find this whole idea of non human things having feelings truly interesting. Part of me wants to believe that feelings are only a human quality that nobody will ever be able to recreate. The other part of me lives in fear because I know how much science and knowledge has already been able to accomplish. I find comfort in the fact that most human's feelings vary and different people react to different things. In this sense, I think that it would take a lot for robots to be able to feel. They might be programmed to respond to certain scenarios, but it probably wont be genuine.

    -CesarCOMM41

    ReplyDelete