Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Week 4 Chapter 7 Question 3


The concept that I would like to discuss in depth in Chapter 7 is cause-and-effect relationship. This type relationship happens very often in our daily life. The meaning of the cause-and-effect relationship is a relationship of something happens which lead to another thing or event to happen. For example, when Samuel starts to feel hungry (Premise 2) when Leif is eating in front of him (Premise 1.) Premise 2 occurs because of Premise 1, thus, this is an example of cause-and-effect relationship.

Another example I would like to use is a number of people is using marijuana illegally in the United States; then the United States government try to ban the use of marijuana; however, those people may continue to take marijuana and just ignore what the government’s advice.  This is not only an example of cause-and-effect but also inductive argument we covered in this chapter.

Thanks for reading!

Adrian

2 comments:

  1. I really like the second example you used! It's a good example for cause-and-effect. I think since the government wants to try so hardly to ban marijuana, that makes people want to rebel even more with the situation buy using it more. I have a few friends that don't care about what he government does with the situation because they wouldn't stop using it anyways because they love doing it so much. It's kind of like if your parents tell you not to do something that you really want to, and you go out and do it anyways because you wanted to do it from the beginning. I've personally done that a few times when my parents told me no. An example of this is when I asked my mom if I could get my tragus pierced, she said no because she didn't want it to get infected, but since she's not with me in SJ, I went to get it pierced with my friends anyways because I didn't have to use her money or anything. Now, she just tells me to make sure that I take good care of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like Purple, I like both examples that you use. You used one as a way to show what cause and effect is, and then you applied it to our lives. Cause and effect truly is seen everywhere throughout our lives and we use this on a daily basis, whether it be small tasks or voting on propositions. I believe that using cause and effect can help people vote for the upcoming election because it would allow everyone to understand what their vote means, and to show that everyones vote does count. For example, if I were to vote to legalize Marijuana to possible effect of that is yes it becoming legal, but that would cause many people to begin to do it. But because it would be legal it would be taxed, and the state could make money from it.

    ReplyDelete