Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Week 4 Chapter 7 Question 1


In chapter 7, the book covers inductive argument and the book definition of inductive argument is “an argument that only claims that its conclusion probably follows from the premise.” Here is an inductive argument:

Students who study business in college usually work in the business field after they graduate.
I am studying business at San Jose State.
Therefore, I will probably get into the business field once I graduated.

This is an inductive argument because I might not find a job even after I graduate with my business degree. I might get bored or think an alternative job field; because there is only a possibility of me getting a business related job but not a 100% chance. I may find a job in other fields such as aviation or real estate that have no relation to business. Therefore the example I used earlier is an inductive argument, because it may happen and it may not happen. 

4 comments:

  1. I liked how you clearly presented your premises and conclusion. Your definition of an inductive argument was correct. You knew exactly what would falsify your premises. You showed me an easier way to explain inductive arguments. I felt that mine was a bit too wordy and I wasn’t able to explain inductive arguments as well as you. Good job explaining the “maybe” in an inductive argument. This was a really good example of a generalization in an inductive argument. You said “Students who study business in college usually work in the business field after they graduate.” The generalization was about students in business.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a good example of an inductive argument because like you said it may or may not happen. Its just like saying since I’m studying a Child health adolescent development major, I will get a job in a place that involves working with children. Although this may be something that I want, it might not come true. There could be circumstances where there is a high demand for the particular job that I want and they don’t hire new bees and only people with experience in that work field, or simply because I might change my focus field to something different.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You show a simple and clear example about the inductive argument. I like the way in which you can present the idea to us by using the example of the major of the students. I am under a business major and I plan to work at business jobs for my future career. However, who knows whether I can really be in that business related jobs after I graduate. Base on what now people expect, we predict what will happen later on. Even though there is not a hundred percent sure about certain event, the conclusion still exists. This is what we called inductive arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sigma, as everyone else stated your example of an inductive argument is a good one. It is nice and understandable and you can easily see why it is an inductive argument. I also how you explained it a little in the way without saying that you were explaining it when you said it "may or may not happen" which is good example of a conclusion of an inductive argument. Just because the premises of the argument is true does not mean that the conclusion will be exact. Things can always change like how you said you may even enter a different field.

    ReplyDelete