Thursday, October 4, 2012

Week 7 Chapter 3 Question 3


After reading Chapter 3, I would like to discuss rhetoric device in depth. The books covers five rhetoric devices and are often are being used in persuasive claims or statements. The five devices are euphemism, dysphemism, sarcasm, hyperbole and lie.  All the devices are used very often in daily life. Euphemism and dysphemism are used to change the attitude of conversations; sarcasm often uses to entertain readers or audience; hyperbole acts as an exaggeration; and lie to distract and mislead the target. We need to make sure we are delivering it in a correspondent way. When you are using it inappropriately, others may take it in a wrong way. For instance, if one uses sarcasm improperly, others might take it offensively. Therefore, using the right rhetoric device in the appropriate style is important. Among all the devices, I personally like euphemism because you are using an alternative way to present the negative description to others.

1 comment:

  1. The rhetoric parts of speech are really good. The different degrees that rhetoric presents has been here since the day of time. Sarcasm can be used improperly yet, when sarcasm comes to making a point it may be useful. For example, I can say, “I am going out to find another lover.” Yet, I mean trust. Therefore, this is used right when I know my mutual partner knows why I say that. I think that knowing when, how, and who to the different degrees, and types of rhetoric should be Euphemism is really about changing terms this can be defined as why people can use different types rhetoric, but your description is great in altering the way to present a negative description.

    ReplyDelete